Summary: News and Feature Content Editor
We are searching for a writing guru to help oversee as well as edit news and feature content creators of key brands. The organic content editor will work closely with freelance content teams in publishing content, reviewing analytics and traffic data, as well as identifying trending topics and other missed opportunities.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Produce timely and engaging article ideas – based on trending topics in movies, TV, celebrity culture, gaming, etc that are happening right now.
- Prepare articles for publication: editing text, reformatting, optimizing for search, and adding images where necessary.
- Develop, train, and manage a diverse team of freelance writers assigned to a wide range of news beats.
- Communicate with senior editors, content leads, and freelance writers to ensure timely deployment of opportunistic topics and articles around the clock.
- Analyze traffic data for existing articles, topics, and other pathways to expanding organic content and overall pageviews.
- Monitor buzz-worthy topics in target verticals for the purpose of creating news and feature content for Google readers.
- Coordinate with syndication and backlink partners – selecting and supplying relevant articles to feature.
- Edit articles in adherence with established voice and standards of each site audience.
- Coordinate with existing organic content teams (features, news, and lists) for idea generation, optimization, and editorial support.
- Finalize image, text, as well as layout formatting, optimize for search key terms, and publish articles.
- Review analytic sources to track organic performance of content and identify trends.
- Form weekly reports based on analytics and performance of published content to inform future content decisions.
- Perform keyword analyses, trending topic breakdowns, and other tests to inform writers what worked and what did not – adjusting future coverage accordingly.
- Refine process, reports, and content with regard to SEO, top ranking pages, target keyword content, high-value backlinks, and other organic performance metrics.
- Meet with editors and developers to discuss feedback on existing infrastructure and content.
Professional Skills & Qualifications
- Robust writing background and/or journalism experience required.
- Meticulous attention to detail: grammar, spelling, formatting, and document review.
- Extensive knowledge of pop culture topics and in-depth understanding of what movie, TV, game, sports, and pop culture fans want to read about throughout the year.
- Time management and ability to work on multiple projects under tight deadlines – sometimes outside traditional office hours.
- Sharp attention to detail and strong understanding of content creation and fast-paced online publication.
- Capable of grasping complex, high volume, and time sensitive publishing processes.
- Passion to learn new tools, especially keyword research, domain authority tracking, and SEO tool sets.
Make a difference at Appetite Media
Appetite Media is home to a diverse portfolio of digital properties driven by quality news, entertainment and sports programming. Appetite is comprised of more than 50 owned or operated on-line destinations, global entertainment network Appetite News, Appetite Publishing, Appetite Events, Appetite Content Studios and a significant number of other strategic investments. As a unified global team, we bring a commitment to excellence, growth and a passion for creating what’s next. Explore the possibilities with us.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) / Affirmative Action employer and welcome all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, and/or any other status protected by law.